Co. Carlow is one of Ireland’s undiscovered jewels. It’s a real haven for garden lovers, with lots of beautiful gardens to explore. There are also plenty of cultural and historical attractions, so there’s something for everyone in Co. Carlow. At Orchard Grove, all these attractions are on your doorstep.
Here’s a sample of what Co. Carlow has to offer.
- The Arboretum Garden and Lifestyle Centre. This is Ireland’s only five-star garden centre. It has plenty to offer, whether you’re a garden enthusiast or not. There’s a wide variety of exotic and familiar plants to sample. You can buy a plant of your own, or homeware items from a range of top Irish brands as souvenirs. And when you’re finished browsing, you can refresh yourself at the garden centre’s restaurant.
- Duckett’s Grove is a beautiful Georgian house surrounded by a walled garden. With its turrets and towers, the house has a magical, fairytale appearance. The gardens and woodlands have been fully restored and the public are free to explore them at leisure.
- Altamont Gardens. These stunning gardens in Tullow, Co. Carlow are set on 40 acres. There’s a mix of formal and informal gardens, as well as lots of native woodland to walk through. Highlights include the Bog Garden and the Ice Age Glen.
- The Brownshill Dolmen. Carlow is home to Europe’s largest dolmen, a stone monument which is believed to be 5,000 years old. It was made with over 1,000 stones and features a huge capstone, supported by two giant portal stones. It’s close to Carlow Town, so it’s easy to find.
- Carlow Visual Centre. This brand new facility is a hub for the arts in Co. Carlow. You can sample all forms of the arts here, from art exhibitions to plays at the state of the art George Bernard Shaw theatre. Since it opened in 2009, it has attracted some of Ireland’s top performers.
We also have Shankhill Castle on the Kilkenny Carlow Border in nearby Paulstown with its House Tours, Ghost Tours and beautiful Gardens.
Planning to visit Carlow? Why not stay at Orchard Grove B&B. Contact us today.